If you have misaligned teeth or some other dental problems like overbite, underbite, or a gap between your teeth, your dentist will recommend you to go for braces. However, with your braces on, you might face some limitations to your eating habits and bear some irritation and soreness.
Dentists recommend taking soft foods to make it easy on your braces and keep your brackets safe. Moreover, soft foods are easy to chew with a sore mouth.
To avoid unnecessary pressure and sensitivity on your braces, you might need to make some changes in your eating habits. Which means adding something as well as removing certain items from your diet. Mentioned below is a list of foods to avoid with braces
- Crunchy food such as chips, popcorn, pretzels, and vegetables like carrot, broccoli
- Sticky foods- chewing gum, caramel candies
- Hard foods- hard candies, nuts
- Chewy foods- bagels, pizza crust, hard meats
Take foods that are easy to eat and chew, such as
- Yogurt, eggs, soft cheese, milk-based products, milkshakes, custard
- Sponge cake, muffins
- Mashed potatoes, boiled vegetables, soups
- Fruits like bananas, persimmon, berries, and fruit nectars
- Seafood, soft meat, meatballs
- Pasta, rice
To keep your braces correctly aligned and hygienic, you need to take good care of them. Therefore, while focusing on foods to avoid with braces, you also need to avoid some bad habits like chewing on pens, pencils, or fingernails. In addition, regularly brush your teeth at least three times a day, preferably after every meal and use dental floss to remove food residues.
The experts at Bayside Dental will guide you on how to take care of your braces and what foods to avoid. Therefore, if you have any questions about your braces, call on 979-330-4113 or visit us in person. We would be more than happy to help you.