A “gummy smile” or excessive gingival display, is a cosmetic condition that occurs when the upper gums come out too visible when you smile. Though there are many treatments available to relieve gummy smile, most of these procedures are surgical and, therefore, expensive and invasive. Botox effectively treats the appearance of a gummy smile, and this procedure is much more manageable to receive than surgery.
The procedure uses two or more injections on either side of the mouth, which relaxes the muscles on the face, and the lips begin to hide the gums, thereby giving you a more alluring smile.
Bayside Dental and Orthodontics provide Botox treatment for many cosmetic concerns, including the gummy smile; if it embarrasses you, Botox may be the right solution.
How does it work?
In a gummy smile condition, one or two units of Botox are injected into the muscle located near the bottom of the nose. This muscle is responsible for lifting the upper lip when smiling. Once the Botox spreads throughout the muscle, it loses tension that causes a gummy smile and results in a lowered lip. Now the patients can smile in a pleasing way like they always wanted without showing off too many gums.
Benefits of Gummy Smile Treatment
- Treatment sessions require only about half an hour
- Injections are painless and minimally invasive
- Results are visible without much wait unlike other procedures
- Each unit of Botox is more cost-effective than surgical options
- It is possible to adjust injection according to treatment goals
- Results look completely natural and proportional with the face
- Gives out natural results that comply with the proportionality of the face
Although Botox has been proven effective at treating a gummy smile, the solution is not permanent and will require maintenance injections every 8-12 weeks. Surgical options can provide a more permanent treatment for gummy smile.